Thursday, February 25

Dreaming of color

This morning there's a smile on my face, a song in my heart--and paint in my hair.

When we bought our house five years ago, I had the powder room painted with the same paint that's on the walls of my master bath: Craftsman Brown by Sherwin Williams. It's a lovely rich brown, reminiscent of hot chocolate, and it looks great with the tumbled marble in my master bath. In the powder room, though, it had long ago ceased to look like chocolate to me, and had started to look more like mud.






Of course, with all the boys in this house, not much powdering of noses takes place in here, but somehow "take a leak room" just doesn't sound quite right.

Anyway, I've been wanting to paint it for some time, but I haven't been able to decide on a new color. I've dutifully bought sample pots of colors and tried them out in the room. Nothing clicked. And then the other night, the color came to me in a vision. Well, maybe not a vision, but when I was lying in bed, anyway. And I knew I wanted this:




That is to say, I wanted this color. The color of the Restoration Hardware bags. So I took myself to Restoration Hardware and told the salesgirl, "I want paint the color of your shopping bags." To which she replied, "Silver Sage. Right here." Apparently I'm not the first person to have been inspired by this color. I was in and out of the store in less than five minutes. Paint shopping has never been so easy.

And so yesterday my powder room went from muddy to



dreamy.

One reason the choice of color for this room was difficult was that I wanted to re-use the same accessories in this room. I knew "Silver Sage" would look great with brown, since that's the color of the Restoration Hardware lettering on the bags. I wasn't so sure how it would go with the golds and greens I have in my powder room, but it works. I really like the way the art pops off the wall with this new color.

And my funky lamp and collection of antique bottles love their new backdrop.



I must say my powder room hasn't been this clean since we moved in five years ago. My hair is another matter. I am an unbelievably messy painter. Let's just say that I usually try to choose a paint color that will go well with red hair.

What color is your powder room?


**Check out all the wonderful before-and-after projects at Thrifty Decor Chick's party!


21 comments:

  1. yes it is very lovely. I like the lighter color. I think I would like that color in my family/kitchen room. My counter tops are like yours. Good job, don't you love doing those smaller rooms, you can paint and get it all fixed up practically in the same day. Blessings, Marla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't the things that inspire you make you laugh sometimes? I get inspired by the silliest things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last weekend I painted our master bath with the Restoration Hardware color Butter. LOVE it! Did you know that all RH paint colors go with each other, so if you have a hard time selecting paints like I do, you can't go wrong with their colors. Next I'm painting our bedroom, I'm down to two colors choices, either Bay Laurel by RH or Linen also by RH. I'm also using the Right White color for our trim. Currently our room is tan. Fun Fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Silver Sage has been logged into my brain, probably to be lost later. Silver Sage, Silver Sage, Silver Sage. I can't believe what a difference the color made. It really brightened the space up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that color... my powder room is green too but a lot darker than that, I don't dare repaint it just yet... I still have some unpainted areas like the landing upstairs to do before I re-do other rooms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, Richella!! Your little bottle collection is too cool. :) The nearest RH is about an hour away, but I love to go drool.

    Our "powder room" isn't really a powder room. It's just a full bath on our first floor, but I do like the color. It's a dark khaki color called "Cliveden Sandstone." I like how it looks with white trim and the white cabinet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! My powder room is Silver Sage! This is the fourth house in which I have used RH's Silver Sage in one room or another. I've used many of their colors over time...love them!

    Your room looks pretty, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that Silver Sage color! A totally new look for just the cost of the paint...gotta love that! :)
    Blessings,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your new color. I am a messy painter too. I have to save an old pair of pants and shirt just for painting, and my hair is always a mess. Great color and your accessories look fabulous. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a beautiful paint color Richella! I adore your home and your fabulous decorating style.
    It is all so pretty!

    ~Blessings, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! I don't have a powder room, just a kids' bathroom that is still a flat builder beige with greasy-hand and toothpaste-smudged accents. It's lovely, as you might imagine. : ) We have plans to paint it over Spring Break...preferably something resistant to mildew, stains and smudges.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute post. I love when stories make me laugh. Silver sage is a very popular color and very pretty. My sister's mail living area was that color for many years until last year when she went to a pale yellow. That was a great color choice in your powder room. Thanks for coming by my blog and please come again....Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the new color! It looks fabulous!
    thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment on my dresser/bench.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty color! That one has been very popular for a few years now & works with so many things. Love it in your powder room.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks fabulous! I think it's great they knew the color right away. You chose a great neutral, because it seems like it could go with pretty much anything!!...even red hair!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have always loved that color! It looks great. But "powder room" is a sore subject around here as mine has not been built yet. We moved into a 2 story house and the only bathroom on the first floor is the master bath! Who builds a house like this? We thought it would be an easy thing to add. Lesson learned, nothing is easy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! You did great on color! :) Have an awesome wweekend! Meme

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the lighter, cooler color. I've heard Silver Sage mentioned quite a few times, but haven't actually seen it in person. Guess I'll have to go check it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally have heard Silver rage rocks the kasbah. IT looks grat Richella. I must pick up a copy of that sample to keep in my someday file. It looks like a GREAT color for a powder room for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the change! That silver is really so calming and just...elegant! Also, those antique bottles -- so cute! I love the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read every one; they make my day. If you have a specific question, please be sure your email address is attached to your profile or leave your email address in the comment; I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Every blessing!