Saturday, June 27

Frugal skincare

The other day my husband and I were discussing birthdays, and suddenly he said, "You know what? On your birthday you'll be the sum of our children's ages!"

Thank you, dear. I needed to hear that.

Take it from an aging redhead: one day you're gonna wish you had worn sunscreen. So I thought I'd share with you my best skincare secret. Here it is:



Yep, Oil of Olay. Look for "Olay complete" on the label. Its SPF rating is just 15, but don't let that fool you. Besides the chemical sun barrier, it also has a physical barrier to the sun: micronized zinc oxide.

Now for my frugal tip: If you use liquid foundation, save the bottle when just a little foundation is left. Then fill the bottle using your sunscreen. Shake very, very well. Maybe even stir a little with a cotton swab. And voila! You've got tinted moisturizer in just the right shade.

And if you want to train your children's brains, do what my husband did: have them come up with the mathematical formula for when your age will be the sum of their ages. Have fun with that.

7 comments:

  1. What a great tip! I love this and will definately try it! Thanks So Much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great tip - one I'm going to try very soon.
    Now, tell me. Has your husband almost recovered from the bonk on the head you gave him?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you were smart, but who knew you had such clever little pearls of wisdom like this? Can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing!! I am excited by this tip and can't wait until I almost out of my liquid foundation. Also, thanks for recommending the Olay complete. I almost bought some just yesterday, but I thought: I don't know anyone who uses it. Now I do. = )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sometimes I do mix moisturizer and foundation on the back of my hand because the foundation is often too opaque...so this is a great idea. Also, many burnt noses later, I have finally decided- sunscreen every day! Thanks for the tip!
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a FANTASTIC tip!

    I have tinted moisturizer that I use now, but will have to keep that idea in mind when I run out!

    www.xanga.com/crafttealady

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oil of Olay is my secret weapon against the sun, too. I have fair skin that is very sensitive and it really works for me. My daughter is a redhead, and sunscreen is a must for both of us! Thank you for a wonderful blog. I just found it, but I think I'll be back to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read every one; they make my day. If you have a specific question, please be sure your email address is attached to your profile or leave your email address in the comment; I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Every blessing!